Friday, December 6, 2019

Demon Hunters: Fungus Among Us

My latest Demon Hunters: A Comedy of Terrors adventure! It's kind of like Color Out of Space, only it's fungus from another dimension and some serious mutational horror. But it's okay, nothing a lot of booze and Halloween Spirit won't cure.

I recently acquired the Fate Adversary Toolkit, by Evil Hat Games and wow it is amazingly useful. Since the last module, I've been doing a lot of rereading Monster of the Week and in this module I'm streamlining a few thing in light of that, and then utilizing many of the concepts in the F.A.T. I HIGHLY recommend picking up the Fate Adversary Toolkit if you don't have it already. I won't be explaining the new mechanics in very much depth so it would be good to have the book.
So what am I streamlining?

  • Threats: I won't be splitting up the adventure into 2-4 major Threats any more. Instead I will be splitting things out according to Scenes or Zones. Within each Scene and/or Zone I will list out expected DMCs, Hazards & Obstacles, Scene Aspects, Badness Table, and provide a general setup/description. Each DMC and other "adversary" type from the Fate Adversary Toolkit will have its adversary type listed, and also a Threat type and Impulse from Demon Hunters: A Comedy of Terrors. This way you'll have an idea of what each DMC wants.
  • Sinistra: I am pretty sold on these as Aspect Events from the Fate System Toolkit. In a sense, these are also a Countdown (which is detailed in Monster of the Week and the Fate Adversary Toolkit). There's only one set of Sinistra for the whole mission and they're listed as Aspects. I'll provide a description afterwards. 
  • Success States: I really love the idea of this, but I have really struggled with developing these for each scene or encounter. I am working a version of these into the Sinistra. For instance if the PCs avoid the sinistrum or prevent it altogether, add a free invoke to an existing aspect in play, or create a new one with a free invoke. Depending on how far down the list the sinistrum is, it may be more like 3 free invokes. Conversely if the sinistrum happens, the DM gets Demon Dice according to the order of the sinistra, and then immediately rolls on a badness table using those free bonus Demon Dice. I'm still playing with this. The main thing is to think ahead about what are the possible outcomes of each encounter and being semi prepared for them. Writing out the success states and the consequences has been challenging in that they often times don't happen that way I've written them at all. 

Really had a lot of fun with this one. I can't wait to hear how it goes in your groups. Let me know what you think of the new additions and format. If you like this,  I hope you'll consider joining my Patreon. Thanks! https://www.patreon.com/donearly

Click to Download Demon Hunters: Fungus Among Us


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chases in Faith Corps

In one of my Patreon adventures I tried my hand at a chase scene, where the Demon Hunters piled into a boat and chased after a Kraken. I ...